Oxton Village is one of the few villages within the Wirral peninsula that has managed to retain its
quiet and pretty village life. A great deal of this is down to the local community who must be
credited with a strong desire to help Oxton and retain many of its features. Much of this help has
come from the Oxton Society. It is rare to find a place in Wirral where the local still show strong
feelings for the local area and a great sense of pride.
Oxton is also one of the few villages that has managed to integrate modern shops into the old
village and find a comfortable balance without losing old world charm. There are many modern
amenities around, from trendy coffee shops, to salons and pubs. The village has managed to keep
a great deal of its old family run shops including the local butchers and grocers.
The Oxton Bar & Terrace
The first building on its site was the Talbot Arms. In its original form was built between 1847 and
1875 in a curve sweeping round the bend between Rose Mount and Claughton Firs, incorporating
four shops and forming the visual centre piece of the village. This building was demolished in 1967,
its successor opening in 1969 and renamed Oxton Arms in 1993. In 2005 it became the Oxton Bar
The Queen’s Arms
Thomas Hughes was the publican as early as 1845. He was formerly an agricultural labourer from
Bidston village. After raising some funds he leased much of the land around the Queen's Arms
triangle and a cottage at the top of Birch Road. The Queen's Arms was much altered and enlarged
in the period prior to 1875 and by 1874 Hughes’ son, who was also named Thomas. In later years
Thomas junior became the licensee, buying the lease from Amalgamated Breweries. The pub was
often known as "Hughes Hotel".
|The Caernarvon Castle
The original building which stood on this site
from 1847 was destroyed by a parachute mine
which also killed the landlord. The mine caused
tremendous damage to the old stone building
forcing its remains to be demolished. The mine
landed on 12th March 194l. A new public house
was built in 1957 as the Carnarvon Castle with
a change of spelling in its name, the hard rock
foundation made a cellar impossible so that its
function had to be diverted to ground floor level.
The Shrewsbury Arms
The Shrew occupies a building dating prior to 1847 which was divided into two before 1875.
Sometime during the first decade of the nineteenth century the part bordering Claughton Firs
became a public house, being enlarged in 1874, when the two parts were reunited.
Although most people would now consider this part of Prenton the Electoral Roll shows that from
1864 to 1868 a man named Hugh Swan was running a beerhouse in Holm Lane. After his death
his widow Betsy, took charge in 1871 and into the 1880s. The current Swan pub is a much more
modern building but has taken its name from Hugh Swan.
The Old House at Home
The inn was located at 7-9 Price’s Lane and was built between 1847 and 1875. It attained the
"The Hole in the Wall "and functioned as a pub until 1930. At one time it even incorporated a fish
and chip shop for those hungry customers. The old House was best known locally from an incident
when a young woman was taken in to die from stab wounds. Eventually the building was
demolished, being considered unsafe, its site being made, at the instigation of the Oxton Society,
into a small car park and potential boules pitch. The Society gave up its lease of the site (from
Wirral Borough Council) in the early 1990s and it is currently a private car park and garden for
residents in the Prices Lane area.
The York Tavern
A small beerhouse, was set back from the road at the top of Townfield Lane and, although the
building still appears on the 1875 map, it cannot be found on the 1874 Valuation list. Little is
known of this building but i believe there are photographs of it floating around locally which i will
endeavour to find.
The Chetwynd Arms
The building was 86 Bidston Road. In 1861 the census shows that the publican was Henry Much a
wealthy stone mason. By 1881 he appears with the title of 'builder and contractor in stone and
quarry owner'. It is assumed that he rebuilt the original cottages and beerhouse. The
establishment was popularly known as the Quarryman’s Arms for obvious reasons.
The Arno Inn
In 1845 there was a public house at the top of Williams Lane, now renamed Birch Road. As with
the York Tavern little is written about the inn, and by 1874 it appears to have been named "The
The buildings and houses around Oxton village remain surprising unchanged. A great many of the
old merchants houses and villas still surround the village and give a sense of wealth and old
village life. The Oxton conservation area helps provide this old world charm and much has been
done financially to help aids this. The pictures below shows a great example of the superb
architecture found around the village.
Click here to continue... Page 1 2 3